Alex Oude Elferink is the Director of the Netherlands Institute for the Law of the Sea and a lecturer at Utrecht University and a professor at the K.G. Jebsen Centre for the law of the sea of the University of Tromsø. Professor Oude Elferink is an expert on the law of the sea and the polar regions, the outer limits and delimitation of maritime zones, dispute settlement and the regime of marine areas beyond national jurisdiction. He has written extensively on law of the sea issues, and is one of the editors of the Oxford Manual on the Law of the Sea (Oxford University Press, forthcoming). His most recent publication is The Delimitation of the Continental Shelf between Denmark, Germany and the Netherlands: Arguing Law, Practicing Politics? (Cambridge University Press, 2013). His consultancy work is among others concerned with the outer limits of the continental shelf, maritime delimitation, and territorial disputes. He has acted as counsel before the ICJ and in arbitrations under Annex VII to the United Nations Convention on the law of the sea.
- When crocodiles and kangaroos dance together, anything is possible: Report of the Timor-Leste and Australia Conciliation Commission
- Maritime Delimitation in Ghana/Côte d’Ivoire: Predictability … with an Occasional Glitch
- Towards Normative Coherence in the International Law of the Sea for the Conservation and Sustainable Use of Marine Biological Diversity of Areas Beyond National Jurisdiction
- Did the latest Resolution on Marine Plastic Litter and Microplastics take us any closer to pollution-free oceans?
- Opposite or adjacent – does it make a difference? Delimiting the continental shelf beyond 200 nm
- The December 2015 Washington Meeting on High Seas Fishing in the Central Arctic Ocean on
- Slovenia/Croatia arbitration – Is the territorial sea delimitation inconsistent with the case law on maritime delimitation? on
- The Norwegian snow crab regime and foreign vessels – a commentary on the Juras Vilkas decision of the Øst-Finnmark District Court on
- About this blog on