Marit Kristine Westergaard
Professor of English Linguistics (UiT & NTNU)
Dr. Philos. Linguistics (Tromsø)
Cand. Philol. English, German, Linguistics (Tromsø, Bergen, Oslo)
MA Linguistics (UC San Diego)
Academic leadership experience (selection)
- Director of AcqVA (Acquisition, Variation & Attrition), joint NTNU/UiT research group 2016-.
- Leader of research group LAVA (Language Acquisition, Variation & Attrition), funded by Faculty of Humanities, Social Sciences & Education 2015-2018 (approx. NOK 2.8 mill. per year).
- Director of CASTL (Center for Advanced Study in Theoretical Linguistics), a Norwegian Center of Excellence 2009 – 2012, funded by the Research Council of Norway (RCN) and UiT (approx. NOK 12 mill. per year).
- Principal Investigator MiMS, Micro-variation in Multilingual Acquisition and Attrition Situations, funded by the RCN 2016-2020 (NOK 9 mill.)
- Principal Investigator BIC, Bilingual Immigrant Children, funded by the Tromsø Research Foundation 2012-2014 (NOK 1 mill.).
- Principal Investigator NoRus, Bilingual Norwegian-Russian Children in North Norway, funded by the Tromsø Research Foundation 2012-2014 (NOK 1 mill.).
- Leader Language Acquisition @ CASTL, research group built up over a number of years.
Academic leadership training
- Research leadership course, University of Oslo, 2011-2012
- Academic leadership program, University of Tromsø, 2009-2012
- AFF (Administrative Research Institute) course on academic leadership for women, Oslo/Bergen 1999-2000
- Professor II (20%) – Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Trondheim, August 2015-.
- Professor of English linguistics, UiT – The Arctic University of Norway, 2013-.
- Director of CASTL, Center for Advanced Study in Theoretical Linguistics, A Norwegian Center of Excellence, 2009-2012
- Senior Researcher, CASTL, 2009-2012
- Professor of Linguistics, University of Tromsø, 2009-2012
- Qualification as Professor of Linguistics, University of Tromsø, 2007
- Associate Professor of English linguistics, University of Tromsø, 1988-2008
- Assistant Professor, University of Tromsø, 1986-1988
- Research fellow (English for Specific Purposes), University of Tromsø, 1985-1986
- Research Award 2016, Faculty of Humanities, Social Sciences and Education.
- Member of The Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters, 2016-.
- Member of Academia Borealis, Academy of Science and Letters North Norway, 2016-.
- Member of the Executive Committee of IASCL (International Association for the Study of Child Language), 2011-.
- Affiliate of MultiLing (Multilingualism in society across the lifespan), University of Oslo (a Norwegian Centre of Excellence), 2013-.
- Associate member of CeLM (Centre for Literacy and Multilingualism), University of Reading (a UK Centre of Excellence), 2013-.
SERVICE TO THE PROFESSION (selection)
- Member of review panel for Linguistics, Swedish Research Council (Vetenskapsrådet), 2016-.
- Member of the Research Council of Norway (RCN) Programme Committee of the Norwegian-Czech Research Cooperation Programme, 2012-2017.
- Vice member of the RCN Programme Committee of the Norwegian-Estonian Research Cooperation Programme, 2012-2017.
- Member of the Board, Tromsø Research Foundation, 2007-2014.
- Associate editor of Nordic Journal of Linguistics, 2012-2015.
- Member of the editorial board of Journal of Comparative Germanic Linguistics, 2016-.
- Member of the editorial board of Linguistic Approaches to Bilingualism, 2015-.
- Member of the editorial board of Studies in Bilingualism, 2015-.
- Member of the editorial board of Studies in Germanic Linguistics, 2013-.
- Member of the editorial board of Norsk Lingvistisk Tidsskrift [Norwegian Journal of Linguistics], 2011-.
- Member of the editorial board of Nordic Journal of Linguistics, 2010-2012.
- Reviewer for various publishers, including the journals Language Acquisition: A Journal of Developmental Linguistics, Linguistic Approaches to Bilingualism, International Journal of Bilingualism, Studia Linguistica, Natural Language and Linguistic Theory, Linguistic Inquiry Squibs, Bilingualism: Language and Cognition, Journal of Child Language, Nordic Journal of Linguistics, Journal of Language Contact, Heritage Language Journal.
- Reviewer for various conferences, e.g. GALA (Generative Approaches to Language Acquisition), GLOW (Generative Linguistics of the Old World), DiGS (Diachronic Generative Syntax Conference), IGG (Incontro Grammatica Generativa), ICLaVE (International Conference on Language Variation in Europe).
- Member of PhD & Habilitation committees and search & promotion committees at a number of institutions, including UiT – The Arctic University of Norway, Lund University, University of Oslo,Oslo University College, Carl von Ossietzky Universität Oldenburg, University of Siena, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, University of Ulster, University of Leeds.
- On the organizing committee for a number of conferences and workshop, including Multilingual Acquisition, Processing and Use 2015,CASTL Decennium 2012, CGSW 2010, 1992, The Acquisition of Linguistic Variation 2010, Optionality in the Input: Children’s Acquisition of Variable Word Order (GLOW XXX, 2007), Workshop on Language Acquisition at Scandinavian Conference of Linguistics (Aalborg, Denmark 2006), Workshop on Language Acquisition at Scandinavian Conference of Linguistics 2002, GLOW 1995.
- Organized several National Research Courses in Language Acquisition.
- Flere språk til flere, a University of Tromsø branch of the web service Bilingualism Matters, directed by Professor Antonella Sorace at the University of Edinburgh. Flere språk til flere offers research-based information about bilingualism to families, schools, public administrators and politicians.
- EEA Norway Grant Exchange, Eötvös Loránd University, Budapest, February 2016.
- Guest researcher at Sonderforschungsbereich Mehrsprachigkeit, Universität Hamburg, April 2011.
- Visiting scholar at Humboldt Universität zu Berlin, fall 2008.
- ERASMUS Exchange at Ca’ Foscari University, Venice, Italy, November 2007.
- Visiting scholar at CISCL, University of Siena, Italy, spring 2006.
- Sabbatical in Flensburg, Germany, spring 2004, fall 2006, spring 2013.
- Visiting scholar at St. Olaf College, Northfield, MN, 2001 and summers 2002 and 2003.
- Fulbright Foundation grant for research scholars, 1990-91: Research associate at University of California, Santa Cruz.
- Rotary Foundation Graduate Scholarship, 1983-84: Graduate student at University of California, San Diego.
ADMINISTRATIVE EXPERIENCE (selection)
- Representative to the Board of the PhD program, Humanities Faculty, 2009.
- Vice chair of the Department of Language and Linguistics, 2005-2007.
- Chair of the board for the integrated Masters program for teachers: 2003-2005, 2005-2009.
- Representative on the board for the study program in economics and language, 2005-2009.
- Representative, Board of the Department of Language and Linguistics, 2003-2005.
- Representative, English Department Council, 1997-99, 2001-2003.
- Representative, Humanities Faculty Board, 1997-99, alternate 2001-2003.
- Representative, Board of the University of Tromsø (1st alternate), 1999-2001.
- Member of the Board of the Norwegian Study Centre in Great Britain, 1991-2001.
- Member of the Board of UNISCENE (European University Network for Innovative Student-centred Education), 1998-2001.
- Representative to the European educational program LINGUA, 1995-2000.
- Contact person for various ERASMUS agreements with European universities.
- Chair of Teaching Committee (Undervisningsutvalget), Humanities Faculty, 1997-1999.
- Representative, Council of employment (Tilsettingsrådet), University of Tromsø, 1995-1996.
- Head of the English Department, 1991-1993.
- Member of the English Department’s “Three-term committee” and main organizer of the Department’s three-term project (initiated by the Ministry of Education), 1991-1993.