By Dana Meknas
Journalist at TREC
In less than a week, it’s Simin Jamaly‘s turn to defend her thesis. After five years, she’s looking forward to wrapping up her work and getting her PhD degree.
Date of defense day: 13th of June, 2018
The trial lecture will be held from 10.15-11.00 at Store Auditorium, MH-bygget, UiT.
Presentation and public defense will be happening in the same location, from 12.15-15.00.
Name of the dissertation: Role of extracellular vesicles in the pathogenesis of venous thromboembolism
You’re almost there! How does it feel to be so close to completing your PhD?
– I’m so tired, but at the same time extremely excited. I’m really looking forward to completing my work!
Simin started working at TREC in January 2013 and has been working with her PhD ever since.
How much work has it really been?
– I have been working in the laboratory. The weeks that I run the experiments, it has been necessary to work in weekends and holidays. But when the lab experiments were over, the work went back to regular speed. When I started to write my thesis and preparing for my defense day, it became a lot of work again and I’ve been working all day almost every day and every night from January 2018.
What has it been like to work at TREC?
– I am ready for my defense, so it has been GREAT! It has been really fun and also challenging.
What has been the best thing about it?
– Participating in different conferences, such as in Amsterdam, Netherlands, in 2013, Svalbard 2014, and Toronto, Canada, 2016.
What has been your motivation to do this?
– I had earned lots of experience in the cancer and hematology field before I became a PhD student in TREC. I was eager to learn more and have the highest degree in one of my favorite fields, so that was my motivation.
How were you recruited to TREC?
– I sent an email to John-Bjarne and asked about the opportunities in his lab. He informed me about an open position in his group. So I applied for the job and was lucky enough to get the opportunity to be a part of TREC.
What are you going to do next?
– I will travel the whole month of July and just take a really good rest. The rest I will think about later.
We wish Simin good luck on her defense day and on the road ahead!