Maria Madalena das Neves is an associate professor and researcher in Energy Law and Law of the Sea at the K. G. Jebsen Centre for the Law of the Sea, Faculty of Law, University of Tromsø – The Arctic University of Norway. Maria is an attorney enrolled in the Portuguese Bar Association and has worked as an attorney with a number of companies and public entities in the energy and maritime sectors.From 2010 to 2016 she was also the legal advisor to the Honorary Consul of Portugal to Tromsø, Norway. Maria holds a Licenciatura in law (Portuguese Catholic University), a Postgraduate Diploma in maritime law (Portuguese Lusophone University), a LL.M. in law of the sea (University of Tromsø), a PhD in energy law (University of Tromsø), and is a graduate from the Rhodes Academy for Oceans Law and Policy. Maria has also been a visiting researcher at the Groningen Centre for Energy Law at the University of Groningen, and a visiting associate professor at the Graduate School of International Cooperation Studies at the University of Kobe, Japan.
- Assessing the role of strategic environmental assessments in the conservation and sustainable use of marine biodiversity of areas beyond national jurisdiction
- Reflecting on the meaning of “not undermining” ahead of IGC-2
- The Senator Case – A new turn in Norway’s dealings with foreign vessels operating in the waters off Svalbard
- A global treaty on the conservation and sustainable use of marine biodiversity of areas beyond national jurisdiction: threat or opportunity for Arctic Ocean governance?
- Assessing the role of equity in fisheries allocation decisions